Monday, September 3, 2007

Ramon Calderon Pleased To Silence Critics

Real Madrid president Ramón Calderón was pleased that the emphatic victory against Villarreal will silence some of Bernd Schuster's critics.

The Bernabéu supremo was also delighted with the entertaining performane that saw los Merengues continue to attack despite chalking up a comfortable lead.

Calderón did issue a word of caution though, as he recognised that it is stil early days and that expectations must be realistic.

"We have to be humble. We cannot be content with that, but we are on the right path," he said.

"Nobody should forget that there are still 36 games remaining.

"I have received messages from fans telling me that this is the Madrid that they want to see and that is always great news.

"I am pleased with what I saw. This is a long season and Schuster must be allowed to carry on working."

Schuster was attacked by the media after some of Madrid's performances in pre-season, but Calderón believes that the first two league wins prove that the club have the right man for the job.

"I think he was treated unfairly and I am happy for him that he has showed that we did not make a mistake," he continued.

"Schuster is a cautious person, he will not change and he has suffered a lot because of the way he has been treated.

"I have read headlines where I thought that people wanted to ruin him.

"Pre-season is the time when a team gels together and there were eight new arrivals and a new system to adapt to.

"Some of the things I read have surprised me, but Madrid always attracts different opinions and I am pleased that Schuster is changing some of those.

"I am pleased that (Javier) Saviola and (Roberto) Soldado are with us and that we have (Arjen) Robben, Pepe and (Gonzalo) Higuaín waiting to play.

"It is a strong squad, who all play together. We scored five goals, but it could have been nine.

"This is not a team that when they score a goal starts defending that lead. This is the new Madrid that everyone wanted."

No comments: